Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust (KMPT) is one of the larger mental health trusts in the UK providing mental health, learning disability and substance misuse services. KMPT covers an area of 1,450 sq. miles and serves 1.7 million people across Kent and Medway. The Trust employs 3318 staff and 228 seconded staff.
KMPT was looking for a partner to replace its existing wireless solution with a robust network capable of meeting current and future infrastructure demands across 28 sites and 57 buildings.
A new solution would enable connectivity for staff, patients and partners, and allow KMPT to deliver new services and facilities increasingly reliant on connected infrastructure. A significant driver was the need to support up to 4 devices per person and the ability to prioritise multimedia traffic.
The Trust’s large mobile workforce needed reliable access to mission-critical applications, including electronic records, images, digital dictations and video conferencing services.
It was important to KMPT that its investment deliver benefits for both patients and staff while future-proofing the service by enabling new and emerging technologies to assist with real-time participation with care records and services.
KMPT chose ALE’s business partner KHIPU as preferred supplier because the solution met its diverse requirements and offered greater flexibility around how service and traffic could be deployed, managed, monitored and maintained. KHIPU’s proposal also allowed the Trust to deliver both corporate and patient internet access within a single solution.
In addition, the online portals for call logging and product updates offered a fast and easy system for call tracking and maintaining system integrity.
Finally, the regular project and service reviews in the project and production phases offered the support and attitude that KMPT was looking for.
“I am delighted with our ALE Wi-Fi solution underpinning new, innovative ways of working. It is fundamental for achieving a safe and dynamic system of care for all our service users, and providing secure connectivity for outpatient clinics, inpatient units and community-based teams. It also provides internet access to the public when they visit our many sites.”
Michele Curtis, KMPT
- OmniVista 3600 delivers simplified management, with active monitoring and alarming, as well as centralised administration of the network.
- The Wi-Fi network offers reliable connectivity across each of the Trust’s 33 sites and 66 buildings and is completely compatible with the existing IT infrastructure.
- AC Wave2 Wi-Fi solution greatly improves performance and reduces the load in the 802.11b/g spectrum.
- The financially advantageous solution offers a high cost-to-innovation ratio and superior functionalities.
- The network supports KMPT’s partnerships with other NHS, Public Sector and Private Organisations.
- Organisation-wide Wi-Fi connectivity supports delivery of a high quality and dynamic system of care to provide the best possible outcomes.
- Staff can use VoIP and multiple Wi-Fi enabled devices over a high performing, high capacity and pervasive wireless network to access critical information and apps 24/7.
- Users can connect up to 4 devices to the network that supports multimedia traffic, including video and voice, to enable better communications and mobility.
- The authentication process for guests and employees is simple on all devices and across all operating systems.